Monday, July 23, 2012

Why the Power and the Glory

When I was ordained to the Sacred Order of Deacons, my dear friend the Rev. Ken Guy preached the sermon in which he asked that I read and reflect on two books -- one of which is The Power and Glory by Graham Greene. This is a story of a priest, a very human, fallable priest, in Mexico during the 1930's when the Mexican government was attempting to supress the Catholic Church. The novel's main character is a nameless "whiskey priest", who is the last priest remaining in his region. Hunted by the state and hounded by his own self-destructive behaviors, he endeavors to bring the love and light of Christ to communities; at times just steps ahead of those that will, by the novel's end, take his life.

I first read the Power and the Glory in college and have reread it a number of times -- including finishing it again days prior to the ordination. I encourage you to read it; it is a powerful story with images, characters and messages that compel and have lasting impact.

I am now a priest in the Episcopal tradition of the Church and I hope this blog will do honor to the expectations set forth by Father Guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment