Friday, February 22, 2013

Your deep gladness meeting the world's hunger...

There is a team from St. Paul's Church, LaSalle, that is part of the Diocese of Chicago's new congregational development process we call Thrive.  It is an intentional learning process lasting two years -- but whose results we hope will last much longer.

At our most recent meeting, the concept of vocation was very much front and center and as I prepared my sermon for the first Sunday in Lent I found myself wanting to discuss with the congregation its vocation.  Frederick Buechner called vocation (I'm paraphrasing) that place where one's deep gladness meets the world's hunger.

The Gospel lesson assigned for the first Sunday of Lent is about Jesus' 40 days in the desert; just after Jesus' baptism and before he begins his public ministry.  I think you can find within the context of these events Jesus vocation being made real -- his deep gladness preparing to meet the hunger of the world.

What do you think?

The sermon begins at about the 10 minute, 57 second point on the video with some very brave and thoughtful reflections on the vocation of the community of Christ Church, Ottawa, Illinois just after the 21 minute mark -- these comments about the place of this community in the world are worth listening to -- even if my portion of the sermon is found too long winded and wanting!

In case you weren't able to make it out on Sunday morning to worship with us, or with your community of faith -- or you aren't sure what I'm talking about, I wanted to try something new and have attached videos that provide the entire celebration of the Holy Eucharist.  The videos are from the 7:30 AM mass at Christ Church (Episcopal) on Sunday, February 17.  This mass is conducted without music.  I pray you have a blessed Lent.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment